Criminal Defense Attorney in Birmingham, Alabama
By: Whitney Polson and his father, Mark Polson, Criminal Defense Attorneys, Birmingham AL
About 7% of all Alabama law firms offer their legal services in the field of criminal law. This same ratio (about one in 15 lawyers in Alabama) roughly applies to lawyers in Birmingham AL and surrounding areas and adjacent counties.
The Internet is filled with websites of criminal lawyers in Birmingham, Alabama's largest city. The ads for "criminal attorney Birmingham" are mostly from local criminal defense law firm sites, but national directories also appear in Page 1 listings.
The ABCs of Criminal Law Defense. In hiring an Alabama criminal defense attorney, and deciding who might be the best criminal defense lawyer in Alabama, limit your search to a criminal defense attorney near me free consultation, for three reasons:
a. Nationally, the very best legal service criminal justice law offices offer an initial free consultation on criminal cases. Not every lawyer directory displays that fact. Thus, you may have to call to ask about getting information about a no-cost initial case review by criminal lawyers near me, free consultation.
b. The importance of a criminal law free consultation is to help identify affordable criminal lawyers nearby who have developed expertise in the specific type of criminal case that you are facing. Whether sex crimes, a drug crime, a white-collar crime, a driving under the influence (DUI) or other serious traffic violation, or possibly a criminal appeal. While you are having the conversation, you should ask about payment plans and request more information on the court process and dates that you may need to attend.
c. In reviewing law firms in Birmingham, AL who have been rated by reliable legal ranking services like Martindale and Super Lawyers, you will find some of the best criminal lawyers in Alabama. In fact, Birmingham lawyers dominate such listings for best lawyers in Birmingham, Alabama, due to the size of the city and the Birmingham law firms that have been formed to practice criminal defense law.
Criminal Law Firm: Best Criminal Defense Attorneys in Birmingham, AL
This checklist for hiring the best criminal defense attorney nearby may help you organize your "bucket list" of questions. If it helps you, use it.
- Years of legal knowledge and court experience in handling similar types of criminal law cases in Alabama.
- A criminal law attorney's intelligence and ability to quickly evaluate and address all factors in cases like yours. Then, he or she can see successful defense strategies on how to approach the case, and look for fallback positions, if you need to take those later.
- Being known by all prosecution attorneys that you will GO TO TRIAL if no acceptable negotiated plea is offered. in charges being dismissed entirely, or possibly being reduced to a lesser crime, through plea negotiations.
- Communication skills of the attorney and his or her staff are also a key factor. Your legal counsel's engaging personality and comprehensive knowledge of the law should be apparent to you after the initial meeting with your prospective Alabama lawyers.
- The criminal justice attorney's compassion, empathy, good judgment and candor about her or his ability to assist you or your family member. This is important, since you will have to deal with the many emotional aspects of having to bond out of jail, possibly deal with a protective order or bond conditions and limitations. Plus, you and your legal warrior may later be preparing for a motion hearing and (if needed) taking the case to trial.
- Relationship issues such as experience in dealing with your court, plus having had time to develop favorable relationships with various court prosecutors and the judges at your criminal court location. These prior connections can be instrumental in achieving the best outcome for each client. This may be through diversion, conditional discharge or in negotiating and structing a plea deal that best protects you and your family.
- The truly experienced criminal lawyers near me see the "second-level" and "third-level" issues that less qualified legal professionals do not. Many unseen potential consequences can occur long before you case goes to court. Example, for some jobs, the HR rules and guidelines for your position may require you to notify your company about any arrest within 48 hours or 72 hours, or other stated period. For some green card holders (or with other immigration issues) this may be a vital issue for that client's case.
- The best legal advisors have a long list of various medical or other expert witnesses, investigators, accident reconstruction teams, and potential, helpful special "aides" for helping bring your case to a positive conclusion.
- Go to various sources of attorney ratings and testimonials. Read each prior client review and rating for more information on the attorney you put on your "list" for possibly hiring.
For Statewide Coverage by our Super Lawyers, you will find very few legal firms with Birmingham attorneys that are willing to take state or federal criminal cases in all parts of the State of Alabama. Mark Polson and Whitney Polson do not back away from traveling to assist our clients in need.
Moreover, the well-known Alabama attorneys are known for their legal book authorship and the service to other Alabama Bar members by teaching seminar courses on criminal defense law topics. Knowing all these facts, why would you NOT take advantage of their criminal attorneys near me free consultation? All conversations --- even those before hiring --- are protected by the attorney-client relationship and are 100% confidential.
Collectively, the two Polson lawyers have been practicing law as criminal justice attorneys for nearly 65 years and handled well over 8000 cases. Our legal professionals can meet you in person, using safe social distancing, or conduct a virtual interview or handle it all by a telephone conversation. If you retain one of our criminal law practitioners,
Disclaimer, from Alabama Bar Rule 7.2: “No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.”